Guest Pics: Dr. Albert Heidinger


Some images from Albert's large collection of pictures of Austrian railways are displayed here. I hope you enjoy looking at them!

The Benedictine Abbey of Admont is the home of a world famous library. Nevertheless, the only book the photogrpaher had in mind on May 24th, 1995, was the timetable - 1245 514 is captured near Admont with local freight 76126.
The five electro-hydraulic locomotives of class 1067 spent their entire live in the second row. When the main series of class 1063 was put in service, they were finally assigned to local freight-services around Selzthal. On April 29th, 1994, 1067 003 was replacing a class 1245 on the "Schladminger Sammler", train 76255. It is seen near St. Martin am Grimming, crossing the river Enns.
Four engines of the only 80 km/h fast class 1041 recieved new gearing in the early 1990s. The now 110 km/h fast locos were renumbered to class 1041.2. Due to their higher speed they are frequently used to replace 1141s as well. 1041 219 leads R 3568 near Oeblarn on the 7th February 1998.
The 91 locos of class 1044.2 have differnt gearing and modified trucks compared to class 1044.0. 1044 255 and higher are additionally fitted with the German train-control-system LZB. On the second day of the year 1999 1044 288 is ready to leave Salzburg Hbf with IC 547f.
The 22 EMU-sets of class 4030.3 are not really popular with Austrian railfans - although they could easily be referred to as old-timers. The units are now over 40 years old and will be gone for good in just a few years.
4030 301 is forming R 5025 on 17th October 1994, seen near Gerling im Pinzgau.
Due to the mechanic controller of these engines, engineers are not exactely happy to have a 1020 on the point of a local passenger train. Therefore the engineer of 1020 012 probably did not like the fact that he had to assist the defective 4030 321 on the hot summer evening of July 14th, 1994. Train R 5020 is seen near Leogang.
Some of the narrow-gauge diesels of class 2091 have been preserved and are frequently used on special trains. 2091.03 of "Club 760" has even received the two-tone livery of the sixties. On January 2nd, 1999, the little engine was assigned to Sdz 16402 on the line from Zell am See to Krimml. The green two-axle coaches match the locos appearence perfectly. The train is seen at Rettenbach.
The DMUs of class 5046/5146, which have been designed for regional traffic, were a variation of the "Blaue Blitz" (see below). In the morning of July 31st, 1993, 5146 201 and driving trailer 6546 211 were on duty between St. Pölten and Leobersdorf, forming train R 6624. This line was one of the last refuges of these units, which were first built in 1954.
The DMUs of class 5046/5146, which have been designed for regional traffic, were a variation of the "Blaue Blitz" (see below). In the morning of July 31st, 1993, 5146 201 and driving trailer 6546 211 were on duty between St. Pölten and Leobersdorf, forming train R 6624. This line was one of the last refuges of these units, which were first built in 1954.
Another line, where the "Blaue Blitze", which were originally designed in 1952 as express trains, were kept in their old age, was the one from Vienna to Marchegg. As 5146 015 and 6545 006 were stopping in the picturesque station of Siebenbrunn-Leopoldsdorf, one of their modern successors, 5047 056, was waiting to provide the connection to Engelhartstetten. (May 29th, 1993)
The branchline from Siebenbrunn-Leopoldsdorf to Engelhartstetten is very likely to be closed soon. On May 31st, 1993, 5047 053 was rolling through the sleepy station of Haringsee as R 2583.
In the morning of the 30th May 1993, train E1579 was hauled by 2143 044 over the - once double-tracked - Franz-Josefs-Bahn. Near Schwarzenau, where the image was taken, the second track is still there - now being part of the branchline to Waidhofen an der Thaya.
In the early nineties - if you were lucky - you could still find the old-time-diesels of class 2091 (built between 1936 and 1939) hauling passenger trains along the Ybbstal-line. The 19th June 1993 was such a lucky day, when 2091 010 was on the point of train R 6918. The train is pictured in the station of Großhollenstein.
In 1992 the trade-union of the Austrian railway-workers had its 100th anniversary. To celebrate this, ÖBB-electric 1044 210 received a special design, in which it was pictured on January 24th, 1993, as it was hauling IC 540 out of Salzburg Hbf. In the background, another 1044.2 is seen as it arrives with auto-train D 9802 from Vienna.

Last update: 15th September 2002